Police shot dead six suspected robbers and recovered four firearms in two separate incidents Thursday.

Four of the suspects were shot dead along Mombasa road, while the other two were gunned down in Kilimani area where police also recovered a Glock 19 pistol that had earlier been robbed from a lawyer in Kikuyu two weeks ago.


The main suspect was been identified as Mr Kennedy Kinyanjui, 23, Nairobi’s most rude and dangerous robber -and the other as Alex Mbugua, 22.

Mr Kinyanjui, who had been on the police radar for about a month, shot dead her aunt, Alice Wanjiru, 50, on June 16 after she wired back some Sh60,000 he had sent her through M-Pesa for safe keeping.

His mother Jackline Njeri, sister Wanjiku Wainaina and a brother have all been charged at the Kikuyu law courts with being in possession of stolen property and being accomplices in robberies.

Mr Kinyanjui, therefore, suspected that his aunt might have leaked information to the police about his criminal activities.

Police say he was so daring that he would even dare his victims not only to look at face keenly but also report to the police that they were “attacked by Kinyanjui”.

He would shoot most of his victims on the head, according to the police.

The felled thug attended Thogoto Primary School and later joined Kanunga High School in 2009.

He was, however, expelled and he joined Rungiri High School where he dropped out in Form three.

Mr Kinyanjui, who hails from King’eero area in Kiambu, headed the gang that also shot and seriously injured a businessman in Ruaka on July 14 who later died while undergoing treatment at a city hospital.

Following the Ruaka shooting, detectives from the Flying Squad launched a covert operation in Ruaka for about two weeks.

When the detectives raided their hideout, Kinyanjui’s gang engaged them in a gun fight and managed to escape, leaving behind an AK47 rifle and a Ceska pistol. His wife was arrested but later released.

The gang later waylaid a lawyer in Kikuyu and told him that they knew he had a gun which they stole and dared him to report to the police.

The scene where two suspects who were gunned down in Kilimani on August 11, 2016. PHOTO | ANGIRA ZADOCK

The scene where two suspects who were gunned down in Kilimani on August 11, 2016.


They then moved to Limuru but realized they were being trailed and shifted to a hideout in Murang’a before again moving to Marikiti area in Mombasa.

The officers followed them but could not locate them.

The gang later moved to Kikuyu and on July 21 at around 10pm, while riding on a motorbike, they shot and seriously injured Michael Wachira Kangaro, 43, at the gate of his residence. They had trailed him from his place of work before they shot him on the head and chest.

Last Sunday, August 7, a three-man gang attacked David Ochieng Gira and his fiancée Margaret Wanjiru around Muguga and robbed them of Sh80, 000 and two mobile phones.

They took control of the car and drove to Kamandura Girls secondary school where they abandoned the victims and robbed Catherine Gitahi of her car before driving towards Nairobi.

The description and the modus operandi in the subsequent attacks within the area suited Mr Kinyanjui’s gang, prompting the Wednesday night operation that began at around 9pm. Six hours later, they were gunned down near City Cabanas restaurant along Mombasa road.

The gang left Thogoto to Gachie through Wangige. They then joined Red Hill road then to Westlands. From Westlands they moved towards the city centre but joined Forest Road to Majengo.


From Majengo they joined Mombasa road through Industrial Area before the police caught up with them after the dramatic chase.

Nairobi County police commander Japheth Koome on Thursday said that the armed gang had been linked to a series of robberies and murder, especially within the neighbouring Kiambu county.

Seven hours later, two other suspects were shot dead and two firearms recovered in Kilimani.


Kilimani OCPD Peter Kattam said that the two had robbed a family and were escaping on a motorcycle along Muringa Road around 10.30am.

However, on joining Elgeyo Marakwet, they hit a lorry that was headed towards Ngong Road. They shot twice at the driver but he escaped unhurt.

The officers who were pursuing them caught up with them and both were shot dead. Two Ceska pistols and other items believed to have been stolen from other victims were recovered.

The same gang had robbed another man in Kikuyu before they rode to Kilimani. The pistol, loaded with 13 rounds of ammunition was robbed from a lawyer in Kikuyu two weeks ago and the matter was reported at the Kikuyu police station.


Police said that the gang was behind a series of robberies within Dagoretti, Gigiri and Kilimani divisions.

At least four people positively identified two suspects who were gunned down in Kilimani on Thursday morning.

The gang had on Saturday attacked Ms Zena Ali, an employee of Australian Embassy at the gate of her residence in Kileleshwa.

The victim positively identified the lanyard and her staff ID card, which the slain suspects still had. Police also recovered a phone belonging to John Muthoka, which he had been robbed of three hours earlier.

The shooting brings to at least six, the number of suspects shot dead by police on yesterday morning only.