By our reporter
Akbar Adoko Nekyon, who previously served as minister in various departments, has died in Kampala at the age of 86.
Mzee Nekyon passed on today at Nsambya Hospital .
Born on August 6, 1931, Nekyon was a cousin to former Ugandan president Apollo Milton Obote.
In 2013, Nekyon was admitted with a reported spine complication, which was later corrected through an operation.
The former member of parliament held various ministerial posts. He served as minister of information and tourism, minister for planning and community affairs, minister for agriculture, forestry and co-operatives, minister for health.
• Born 6th August 1931at Akokoro, Lango District to chief Jekeri Akaki and Abisagiri Koli
• Went to Ibuje Primary ,Ngora Secondary and Kings College Buddo
• Joined Kerala University (India) for 5 years and obtained masters in economics with political science
• Served in the colonial civil service as a clerk-interpreter for one year
• Elected and served as the first president of FUFA in 1968 after change of name from UFA
• Engineered formation of FUFA from UFA
• Founded the first Uganda National Football League in 1968
• Founded the National Council of Sports in 1964 and appointed Mr Bataringaya Basil as the 1st
• He has received several honors in relation to his contributions to various aspects in Uganda that is; he was honored by parliament of the Republic of Uganda during the 50th independence anniversary celebration for life time achiever for Uganda, Awarded Honorary Ph.D by Makerere University for his tremendous contribution to field of academics (English literature- published five literature
• Served as a member of parliament of the legislative assembly in the parliament of Uganda for 18 years including constituent assembly
• Served as a cabinet minister in Uganda government for 7 years
• Served as the general manager of the defunct Uganda Airlines