Football fraternity on Friday was again hit with news following the demise of its Honorary President and former FUFA Chairman Al Hajji Adoko Akbar Nekyon who passed away on 4th May 2018 at Nsambya Hospital.
Alhajji Akbar who served as FUFA Chairman in 1968 suffered a stroke which led to the deterioration of his health until his death.
‘We have received the sad news of the demise of our former FUFA Chairman Al Hajji Adoko Akbar Nekyon. This is a cruel moment in Ugandan football losing historical men like Nekyon. Football has already lost elders this year. We feel sad when we lose another of our former leaders’ said FUFA President Eng. Moses Magogo.
‘Our elder Al Hajji Adoko Akbar Nekyon played a key role in football development in the country when he was appointed FUFA Chairman in 1968 and helped form the National football league in the same year. He will always be remembered for his great contribution to the game added FUFA President.
Our condolences go out to the family and friends of the departed historical football administrator.
About Al Hajji Adoko Akbar Nekyon in sports circles
- Born 6th August 1931 at Akokoro, Lango District to chief Jekeri Akaki and Abisagiri Koli
- Elected and served as the first president of FUFA in 1968 after change of name from UFA
- Engineered formation of FUFA from UFA
- Founded the first Uganda National Football League in 1968
- Founded the National Council of Sports in 1964 and appointed Mr Bataringaya Basil as the 1st chairman of NCS
- Got to love football from his elder brother Erifazi Odur
He was bestowed the title of Honorary FUFA President in 2015 by the FUFA Assembly held in Soroti.
May His Soul Rest in Peace