By Watchdog reporter

At about 2.30pm, police and the military sealed off Nakawa chief magistrates court and no one was allowed to enter as 13 suspects were presented to court to be read charges relating to the killing of former police spokesman Andrew Felix Kaweesi together with his bodyguard and driver.

At about 3pm, heavily guarded 13 suspects who were surrounded by security operatives were arraigned in Court. They accused are; Abdul-Rashid Mbaziira, Aramazan Noordin Higenyi, Yusuf Mugerwa, Bruhan Balyejusa, Umar Maganda, Ahmada Shaban Ssenfuka, Hassan Tumusiime, Ibrahim Kissa, Osman Muhammed Omar, Hamidu Magambo, Abdu-Majid Ojerere, Joshua Kyambadde Magezi and Sheikh Musa Abubaker Ntende.

The court was presided over by Nakawa Grade one Magistrate Noah Ssajjabi.

They were charged with three counts of murder in connection to the death of the Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIGP) Andrew Felix Kaweesi, his body guard Kenneth Erau and driver Geoffrey Wambewo.

Magistrate Ssajjabi did not allow them to plead to the charges, saying that they face capital offences only tried by the High Court. The suspects appeared to be calm as they keenly followed the proceedings. Some of them were wore Muslim tunics.

Murder is contrary to section 188 and 189 of the penal code Act. They also face terrorism and aggravated robbery charges.

State prosecutor Anne Ntimba told court that inquiries in the case were still underway and prayed for an adjournment.

“Your worship, inquiries in the case are still underway, we pray that the matter be further mentioned,” she said.

They were remanded to Luzira till May 5, 2017.

Investigations

Preliminary investigations indicate that assailants pumped over 70 bullets into Kaweesi’s official car, leaving the occupants with no chance of saving their life.

Kaweesi was gunned down by unknown assailants near his home in Kulambiro, Nakawa division, on March 17, as he left home for work. He was killed together with his body guard Erau and driver Wambewo.

Prosecution alleges that on March 17, 2017 the accused murdered Kaweesi, his body guard and driver in the city suburbs of Kulambiiro.

It further alleges that between November 2016 and March 2017, while in Mukono, Mbarara, Kampala, Jinja and Busia the suspects engaged in terrorist activities.

The accused majority Muslims were picked by plain clothed operatives from their work places and homes located in suburbs of Wakiso, Mukono, Mbarara and Busia districts, last month.

This was shortly after the murder of Kaweesi, his body guard and the driver.

They have been in detention at the high profile –facility in Nalufenya, Jinja district.

About a fortnight ago, Sunday Vision reported that President Museveni had ordered the Inspector General of Police, Gen. Kale Kayihura and the combined Police and other security agencies to constantly brief him every three days about the progress of the investigations.

The investigations team comprises officers from the chieftaincy of Military Intelligence, Internal Security Organisation, and the Special Forces Command, among others.

The teams are also being assisted by the US Federal Bureau of Investigations and sister security agencies from neighboring countries.

Comments