Following mediation between Mauritania president, Guinea president, former Gambia president Jammeh, ECOWAS, AU and UN, this some of what was agreed in the declaration deal made with the ‘purpose of reaching a peaceful resolution to the political situation in The Gambia’
– ECOWAS, AU & the UN committed to work with the Government of The Gambia to ensure that it assures and ensures the dignity, respect, security and rights of HE former President Jammeh, immediate family, cabinet members, government officials, Security Officials and party supporters and loyalists.
– ECOWAS, AU & the UN urged the Government of The Gambia to take all necessary measures to assure and ensure that there is no intimidation, harassment and/or witch-hunting of former regime members and supporters
– ECOWAS, AU & the UN committed to work with the Government of The Gambia to prevent the seizure of assets and properties lawfully belonging to former President Jammeh or his family and those of his Cabinet members, government officials and Party supporters.
– ECOWAS, AU & the UN will work to ensure that host countries that offer “African hospitality” to former President Jammeh and his family do not become undue targets of harassment, intimidation and all other pressures and sanctions.
– ECOWAS, AU, & the UN will work with the Government of The Gambia to ensure that former President Jammeh is at liberty to return to The Gambia at any time of his choosing in accordance with international human rights law and his rights as a citizen of the Gambia and a former head of state.
– ECOWAS will halt any military operations in The Gambia and will continue to pursue peaceful and political resolution of the crisis.